Hello again, everyone! Welcome to another roundup of the most useful SEO posts I’ve found in the last week from around the Internet.
For those of you visiting from Reddit – I’ve decided to move these posts to the main IM Gourmet site, for three reasons:
- It means I can use WordPress to write them, which is significantly less horrible than writing a long post in the Reddit text box.
- It means the rest of my readers get the benefit of these posts too.
- It means I don’t have to write a long spiel about why I’m doing this – I can just direct you to our explanation on this site instead.
Let me know what you think, and if you’re OK with these remaining over here on the Gourmet.
For everyone else – this is a summary of the most useful SEO posts I’ve found on the Internet over the last week. I’ve been doing these over at Reddit for a few weeks to rave reviews, and so I thought my SEOish readers over here might find ‘em useful too!
Here we go…
- EU Finds Potential Antitrust Violations in Google’s Model – Interesting news with BIG potential SEO implications – the EU’s less than thrilled at Google’s practises both related to advertising and how they present search results.
- How we made Portent.com really freaking fast – I’ve found improving page speed extremely worthwhile from a “retaining readers” point of view, not to mention the ranking implications. This one’s an excellent guide for anyone hosting their own site.
- Facebook Edge Rank – How To Reach More People | IMGrind.com – A short but interesting piece on Facebook’s Page Rank equivalent, Edge Rank.
- How to Write Massive Quantities on Demand | Men with Pens – If you’re actively engaged in “Building Moar Sites”, to quote one of our frequent Reddit commenters, James Chartrand’s tip here might well be very handy.
- Updated for 2012: The Beginner’s Guide to SEO | SEOmoz – It’s from SEOMoz, so it’s very biased toward white-hat techniques, but nonetheless this is an excellent guide for anyone looking to understand the basics of SEO – useful to point clients to, as well.
- Google Analytics Social Reports Provide Huge Metrics Edge – I’m very excited by Google Analytics’ new social metrics, and this article provides a few ways you can use them right now.
- 4500 Words on Everything We Don’t Know About Penguin and What Not to Do About It – A very interesting piece coming up with some unintuitive answers from the current Google Penguin data, and arguing that the state of Penguin is more of a problem for Google than for us…
- Start Paying For Traffic First Before Getting Into SEO – This one started a few arguments, I believe – Pawel at Aff Helper argues that it’s far less risky to pay for traffic at first, before getting into SEO. Not sure I agree, but food for thought.
Hope those were interesting! If you’ve got any comments on the content, the location, or the format, I’d love to hear them!